
I had no intentions of looking for a bird on my hike through a small trail in Ausable Forks, NY but I definitely found one. I heard a "hoo-hoo-hoot" coming from high up in the trees that made me stop in my tracks. Somehow in my 23 years of life I had never seen an owl in nature. I finally spotted the creature perched on the highest branch of the giant tree.
First I noticed his dark brown eyes glaring out at me. He was covered in white-gray feathers with brown stripes down his neck and chest. The feathers looked so puffy and warm. He continued to "hoot" for a few minutes longer then silence... but he never left his tree.
After my encounter with the owl, I searched online to find out what type of owl he was. I believe it was a barred owl (strix varia)- the brown horizontal stripes are a giveaway. The barred owl lives all throughout New York state in dense foliage high off the ground- just like the area I spotted him.
The barred owl is known to hunt for small animals like mice at night, but sometimes they hunt before dark on overcast days.
The loud "hoot" I heard is common for this type of owl because they are known to be very vocal and converse with others especially during mating seasons between February and March. The owls find one single partner for life and only breed once a year. Although they are a monogamous bird, they are separated from their partner most of the time until breeding season begins.
First I noticed his dark brown eyes glaring out at me. He was covered in white-gray feathers with brown stripes down his neck and chest. The feathers looked so puffy and warm. He continued to "hoot" for a few minutes longer then silence... but he never left his tree.
After my encounter with the owl, I searched online to find out what type of owl he was. I believe it was a barred owl (strix varia)- the brown horizontal stripes are a giveaway. The barred owl lives all throughout New York state in dense foliage high off the ground- just like the area I spotted him.
The barred owl is known to hunt for small animals like mice at night, but sometimes they hunt before dark on overcast days.
The loud "hoot" I heard is common for this type of owl because they are known to be very vocal and converse with others especially during mating seasons between February and March. The owls find one single partner for life and only breed once a year. Although they are a monogamous bird, they are separated from their partner most of the time until breeding season begins.

Well, I didn't see my first barred owl till I was well past 23, so don't feel bad. I enjoyed reading about the post. You didn't take the photo, did you?
ReplyDeleteNo, I wish I was that good of a photographer. I didn't have a camera with me!
ReplyDelete