"Here in the United States, most of us begin generating CO2 as soon as we get out of bed."
This statement from chapter 7 stood out to me because it is something we all know, but we never think about. Everyone wakes up and starts their days different ways, but all contain CO2. Kolbert discussed how we wake up, make coffee, watch the news, and drive to work. All of those things I do every morning, and more that I've never realized how harmful it can be to the Earth.
Kolbert explains everything very well in these two chapters and makes it easier for me to read and understand. She discusses wedges, which could have been mind-boggling, but she used examples and language that made the science understandable.
I thought Kolbert's interview with Paula Dobriansky in chapter 8 was very amusing. I think it is important for a journalist to describe to the readers how an interviewee acted and exactly what they said, especially if they repeated the same cookie-cutter phrase over and over.
I enjoyed chapter 7 and 8. Questions that I have and questions that I didn't even have are being answered in every chapter of her book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Patricia, reading about our contributions to global warming can be depressing and guilt-inducing, but it's something we need to know. I'm glad Kolbert is answering your questions.
ReplyDelete